mardi 9 février 2010

Portrait

12 commentaires:

  1. You amaze me with portraits, Mich, your ability to catch the likeness of hair, the facial features as a whole. I could usually get the image, itself, and the shading, the tones, but was never really satisfied with the finished product. You do good work, my friend....

    RépondreEffacer
  2. Oh my, those eyes. Full of wonder, curiosity, focus. How beautiful that little boy is.

    RépondreEffacer
  3. Thanks so much, Jim. I've always really liked drawing people. Do you get the urge to draw? I'd love to see your style.

    Mich

    RépondreEffacer
  4. Yes, he's quite the cutie. He's the son of friends and I swear he was people watching the day after he was born. Seriously focused. An amazing little guy.

    Mich

    RépondreEffacer
  5. Mich: I haven't attempted portraits in a long time, losing self-satisfaction with my work and my ability to succeed to any degree at all when glasses became part of the operation. My son-in-law is great with charicatures. I was pleased with a few of those I did of others within my old church group; but Mark makes me look like the doodler I be....

    RépondreEffacer
  6. Jim, I hear what you're saying about the glasses; I am near-sighted but, in the last couple of years, I'm doing battle with my increased prescription and close-up work. I think art teachers would say that our handicaps should be used to develop our own unique style. My own thoughts are that it's frustrating.

    RépondreEffacer
  7. no matter what the art teachers say... go ahead and continue to develop your own unique style

    RépondreEffacer
  8. Thanks, Wayne. As it happens, I don't really know any art teachers anyway. :)

    RépondreEffacer
  9. What a beautiful painting. It's so gently rendered, with lots of feeling and character showing through your facility with the medium. Is that watercolor? I know how challenging that can be!

    RépondreEffacer
  10. Thank you so much, Karen.

    It is watercolour (with a bit of pencil crayon) and I'm in total agreement with you about how challenging it is. In fact, for the most part, I feel like a hack in that medium. But I enjoy the process and if something turns out okay, I'm as surprised as anyone else! :)

    I seem to recall reading that you studied art. In what medium do you prefer working?

    Mich

    RépondreEffacer
  11. So sweet and precious, I love it!

    RépondreEffacer